For my third and final artifact I chose to use the Cinema 4D software. Of the three that I had chosen overall for Digital Applications, I had the least experience with this. For this project I wanted to re-create the pyramid stage from Glastonbury festival.
To begin this process, I selected a pyramid from the insert object selection, then resized it to the measurements desired.
After this I found an image of the stage from google images and used the splice tool to trace around the arch at the front of the pyramid so as to get an accurate shape for my own.
I then cut and paste the splice at the front of the pyramid object, resizing it so as to fill out the proportions.
After this I used the knife tool to cut the area inside of the arch. I also divided the pyramid object into separate polygons to add detail to the metal.
After cutting the inside of the pyramid I placed a platform below it and added a grass texture to a plane underneath. At this stage the texture was unrefined and in experimental stages.
Because the grass texture on the plane was not cover the right area to be porportionate to the stage, I began to resize it.
After I felt that the grass texture had been arranged appropriately for this stage in the development I then added four cubes from the insert object option and resized them to the size of a large speaker. Following this I moved them in pairs to each side of the pyramid.
After this I then worked on making the speaker look more realistic. I chose a doughnut shaped object from the insert object option, resized them appropriately and placed them just outside of the speaker boxes.
Once these were fitted, I then added another texture to the boxes, a simple black finish.
Following from this I then added another new texture, this time to the pyramid and the platform. This was to give it a closer appearance in colour when the render was applied.
I then started on creating the second set of speakers that hang higher above the stage, as can be seen in the example picture I placed earlier.
To do this, first I added two cylinders and resized them so they would be thin and tall.
I then copied the the two previous cylinders and placed them the other sides respectively. After this I then added another set of cylinders and placed them atop the the other four. These were slightly thicker than the other two, so as to give the impression of stability.
After this I then added the black texture from the speakers and applied it to the supporting cylinders.
After this I added some line based object via the inset object option, these were used to simulate the wires that the speakers were hung off in the image.
Then I began adding more speakers hanging from the wires. This process was more or less the same as the previous models from the speakers below. The only difference was that these ones were sized differently.
I continued to add the small speakers to the cylinder structure and added the black texture to them as I went along.
When I was finished with this process I had five speakers on each side of the pyramid. The three that hung either side were placed slightly out of line with each other so as to give a slightly more realistic impression.
For a finishing touch to the structure I created a small microphone out of a few objects. A line, a cone and a sphere respectively. I added the same black texture to the microphone as the speakers.
After I had done the material side of the project I then began focusing on the environment and lighting.
To add more realism I inserted a sky like overhead effect to the project to light up the environment.
Following from this I then added some render effects to the project. These effects were more or less based in light, ambience and of course realistic render. Although simple options these had a profound effect on the realism of the project. The image above shows the project before the global illumination and ambient occlusion settings were added.
This was the final stage of the project as I was quite heavily pushed by time constraints to complete this project. Although it was likely the software I had the least experience in, I believe that it realised quite well. It took me sometime to work out some of the intricacies of the program as it is has many tools and effects and methods in which to use them. If I had more time to complete this project I would like to have added more environmental elements but for my first project with the software I think this is a reasonable accomplishment.