Artifact Two – Time-lapse in Premier Pro/Logic Pro X

Youtube link to artifact two

For my second artifact in the Digital Apps module I decided to create a time-lapse using the surrounding environments of Totnes and Harberton. The project was heavily focused on landscapes. As well as using Premier Pro to edit the time-lapse I also made use of Logic Pro X once again to create a short piece of backing music for the piece.

Part One: Premier Pro

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 11.45.07

To start this project I added the files into the program, via the import selection, after this I placed the first clip of the project in to Premier.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 11.42.03.png

Then I made a few different attempts to chose the speed of which I would playback the clips. I did this by editing the speed by using the Clip Speed and Duration tool.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 11.43.10.png

As certain clips were longer than others, some were sped-up more so than others. The clip subject to this was sped-up by around 4000 percent.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 11.49.07

Much of the process from this stage on was fairly similar. Clips were viewed through the test window and ran at different speeds until I eventually decided upon what was appropriate for the flow of the piece. At this stage I also placed a very brief fade out transition in-between the first and second clips to help the flow of the project.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 12.58.44

After I created the music for the time-lapse (which I will detail later ) I added in file by using the import option and it loaded into the bin.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 13.01.10.png

After I had imported the music I then placed it onto the timeline and matched it up with the footage. I also then placed a fade to black transition on the video and an exponential fade on the audio to close it.

Part Two: Logic Pro X

In creating the music for my time-lapse I acted quite quickly as at this stage I was limited on the amount of time that I had to do so. This piece was not as comprehensive as the previous artifact I made using the software.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 12.56.03

I started this piece of music by playing three chords on the onscreen keyboard with the Evolving FM chords preset and then placed them onto the the first track. (It is worth noting that these screenshots were taken after I had moved them down in the project so as to arrange the drums).

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 12.56.15

After this then added another set of chords in the same structure as the prior with the Bent Synth Strings preset and moved them down in the mix to give them the distant feel in the piece.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 12.56.30

To add a further distance to the sound I then added yet another set of keys to the track, using the Echolocation preset. This preset had a heavy reverbiration effect which lead to very ethereal sound.

Following from this I then added a bass kick with the After Party GB drum kit preset, this was once again done using the onscreen keyboard.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 12.57.34

After I had finished the piece of music in Logic I then ‘bounced’ the file, this being similar to simply exporting. I chose to render the file in the MP3 format due to the relatively simple nature of the composition. Although still rendering it at the highest bitrate possible in the codec 320Kbps.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s